Every Motor Event is a Sensory Event First: Anxiety, Self-regulation and Postural Control
The nature of the pediatric rehabilitation caseload has changed in the last decade. Many clients now present for Physical Therapy with sensory processing and emotional self-regulation challenges as well as postural control and gross motor deficits. The research is beginning to inform us of the inter-relationship between sensory processing, self-regulation and postural control. Also, it is now recognized that self-regulation is critical for learning of new motor skills. This creates a challenge for Physical Therapists: How do we integrate this research using practical strategies that support the goals for the child and family?
This voice over power point online course, recorded from the education session at APTA CSM 2014, provides you with an overview of the interactive nature of sensory processing, emotional self-regulation and postural control in typical children and how this becomes disrupted in children with motor and sensory challenges. The impact of stress and anxiety on sensory processing and balance will also be explored. Finally, motor and sensory treatment strategies that can be clinically useful in Physical Therapy will be presented.
- Clinical highlights of postural control literature in different pediatric populations
- What is emotional self-regulation and how does it develop?
- Sensory processing, self-regulation and postural control in typical developmentSensory processing, self-regulation and postural control in children with sensory and motor challenges
- Stress, anxiety and balance
- The anticipatory core and self-regulation
- Clinical signs of up-regulationPractical treatment strategies
Running time: 1 hour and 48 minutes
About Shelley Mannell & HeartSpace Physical Therapy
Shelley Mannell has more than 20 years experience treating babies, children and adolescents with physical challenges and gross motor delays. HeartSpace Physical Therapy for Children realizes the value of ongoing treatment and support for children who are experiencing difficulties with motor skills. HeartSpace offers a full range of treatment and consultative therapy services to support children and families. Find out more and connect with Shelley at heartspacept.com